Thursday, April 10, 2008

As without, so within

On the tangent of Oprah. Prior to Sunday it had been almost three weeks since I read the New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, I hadn't really been into reading it, and on our drive home on Sunday I decided to again start perusing it.

For many, I guess, who are still working out their spiritual path and do not realize how inter-connected we are to the Cosmos and God, the book is probably above their head. I do believe it is more of a self-growth book and speaks to people on the spiritual level and if one is truly evolved in their faith they can connect to the teachings or thoughts that are being illustrated. I am not bashing anyone, because each of us is where we are suppose to be at this exact moment, which makes this whole "life" experience so awesome.

Tonight pages 217-221 really resonated with me. The subhead is "As without, so within." Earlier today I was explaining to Jeff prior to reading these pages about how I cannot understand that people do not see that we as individuals are actually microcosms of the macrocosms...meaning the Universe, God, etc. For me it makes clear sense. Like the cells of our bodies, we as individuals are each cells in the body know as God, the Universe, whatever label you have - use it - you know what I mean.

So with that said I will quote what I truly enjoyed reading, and no paraphrasing cause I am really no good at it. This is from pages 219-220.
The twofold reality of the universe, which consists of things and space -thingness and no-thingness- is also your own. A sane, balanced, and fruitful human life is a dance between the two dimensions that make up reality: form and space. Most people are so identified with the dimension of form, with sense perception, thoughts, and emotion, that the vital hidden half is missing from their lives. Their identification of form keeps them trapped in ego.
What you see, hear, feel, touch or think about is only half of the reality, so to speak. It is form. In the teachings of Jesus, it is simply called, "the world," and the other dimension is "the kingdom of heaven" or "eternal life."
Just as space enables all things to exist and just as without silence there could be no sound, you would not exist without the vital formless dimension that is the essence of who you are. We could say "God" if the word had not been so misued. I prefer to call it Being. Being is prior to existence. Existence is form, content, "what happens." Existence is the foreground of life; Being is the background, as it were.
(This is my favorite) The collective disease of humanity is that people are so engrossed in what happens, so hypnotized by the world of fluctuating forms, so absorbed in the content of their lives, they have forgotten the essence, that which is beyond content, beyond form, beyond thought. They are so consumed by time that they have forgotten eternity, which is their origin, their home, their destiny. Eternity is the living reality of who we are.

No comments: