Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Raw Treat

I experimented and followed a recipe from Ani Phyo's Raw Dessert Cookbook. I've been eyeing multiple recipes from her book titled, Ani's Raw Food Essentials and decided to test one of her recipes. Making a raw dessert is NOT cheap ~ especially when you can't find alcohol free pure vanilla extract ~ and have to purchase whole vanilla bean ($11 for 2 beans). The cream base is composed of cashews, vanilla bean, lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut oil and water. You can use lecithin as a thickener but I am also steering clear of soy and lecithin is a soy derivative. The
crust is made up of almond meal and moist dates. I used dates from the bulk bin that seemed to do the job - I just had to increase the qty to have more moisture and binding capability. ( I again did not have the patience to look for medjool dates)Lastly the strawberry topping consisted of strawberries and agave nectar. The dessert satisfied my sweet tooth. In fact - going almost two weeks without anything too sweet - a small slice was more than perfect. Te and Jeff both enjoyed it and we came to the conclusion that if you had a nut allergy it would be tough to be completely RAW.

I also experimented with another one of Ani's recipes. I whisked me up some teriyaki noodles. Noodles being zucchini spirals. Once I've been on this raw road for awhile there is no doubt I'll be able to come up with my own creative recipes. I know what I like to eat - it's a matter of figuring how to imply the flavor into a raw state. I do look forward to being able to incorporate grains again one day. And honestly I probably won't be a 100% raw all the time - just most of the time. I love ethnic food - mostly my momma's cooking and of course Japanese cuisine. I also like
Mexican and Chinese and it all comes in moderation. Paying attention to the innuendos of my body and listening.

No comments: