Thursday, September 13, 2007

Something Wonderful


Today I received a delightful email from my South Africa friend Debbie who put my art project in motion. Originally the plan was for my project to take place when we had the Youth Exchange with the United Church Boarding School in Yeoville, Johannesburg. However, they forwarded our itinerary just a couple days before departure and it appeared we would have no time to implement the project because the kids would be matriching (testing) and in between testing they had ALL sorts of activities planned. So I left my canvas in Centocow when we departed for the city and told Debbie what the project was about. Ironically a couple days before I told her about my project she had been visiting with the nuns at the mission and the nuns had commented on how they desperately needed something for their walls. So with that said, the wheels were in motion. Debbie said she would get the four canvases dispersed among some children and have them paint their interpretation of the senses of peace. The senses of peace being smell, taste, feel, see, etc. So this is a canvas in the works and according to the teacher this is the first time these students have ever used paints. I can hardly wait to receive my canvas that will most certainly be treasured in my house wherever I go.

No comments: