Tuesday, December 12, 2006

WOW

I just watched a video called the Invisible Children (rough cut). In the spring of 2003, three young American men traveled to Africa in search of a story that could change the world. It is both a disgusting an inspiring story that made my heart go "Mannnnnn." It is a film that exposes the 20 year-long war on the children of Northern Uganda. And how they mostly live in fear of being abducted by rebel forces and forced to fight as part of the violent army. Jeannine Smith, the Founder of Small Village Foundation, and the mission organizer for my mission to South Africa gave it to me to view as an example for the kind of feel we would like to perhaps portray during the mission. Obviously we probably will not encounter violence - but something deeply moving - that inspires individuals to be involved. We need to see that Africa along with many other mishaps of the world as world problems - humanities problems, that together we can help one another - that we are not separate from our brothers and sisters who live here on Mother Earth. It is very easy for people to make excuses or to be detached when it is out of sight out of mind. I know a handful of people who think that the power of one is nothing - when in fact - a ripple eventually becomes a tidal wave.
I was just outside in the studio talking to Jeff about the movie. I was crying while I was talking - it really rocks your core. I feel like the Universe is putting things into motion for me, unfolding my destiny. I have always wanted to start a non-profit where I could bring necessities to needy communities in the Philippines (my momma's home country) - yet now I think that God is directing me to South Africa. In hindsight it is enlightening when you start to see how things were put in motion - long before you are aware of the direction. The journey has already begun - I will now for the next four to five months immerse myself into African history - watch movies, read books, get creative in gaining sponsorship for my trip as well as funding a play pump for a village. Life is an amazing thing - and when one gets involved on the heart level it's powerful.
Be not afraid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your words are powerfull my friend. I am sooo excited for you to go on this amazing trip. It will be life changing! I have a couple book to sugggest! Love you
Ang