Friday, June 16, 2006

Graphic Day in the Valley

Something horrific happened here in the Boise Valley yesterday. Some crazy man beheaded his ex-wife and then proceeded to kill a mother and her child when he purposefully veered his truck into oncoming traffic. The head of his ex-wife laid on the roadway following the crash - he was toting it in the bed of his pick-up.

This incident had a strong impact on Jeff - it was evident when he came home from watching UFC at Steve's. Jeff is a worry wart and that is saying it mildly. I suffered through his rage as he expressed to me how I needed to call so he knew when and if we were coming home - he said he didn't like leaving the house without knowing what was up with Te...where he is, or what he is doing. It makes me sad for both Jeff and Te. Jeff because he worries too much about things that are out of his control, and Te because he has an overprotective father who I know will have trouble letting go one day. Right now I think he fails to remember what trauma he put his own parents through. I have faith Jeff will get through this - it's just unpleasant when I am the victim of his emotions. I try not to buy into his somewhat pessimitic perceptions. Life with children changes you, you can have faith or you can constantly worry yourself gray. I choose to have faith that I will raise my children to make conscious decisions and know that the things in life you cannot control are not worth worrying about - it's called faith.

Another sad incident happened yesterday as well. A black puppy dog was found burned over 75-80% of his body and he had bumps and bruises from being dragged. I think people who offend animals should be accountable for their crime much like they would be if they offended another human. It is a misdemeanor to harm an animal, it's a felony when applied to humans. Frankly I think anyone who intentionally goes out and hurts anything should be held accountable for their actions. I guess that's why there is karma...or judgement day, or whatever you want to call it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I remember that day I heard the news and was so disturbed by what some people are capable of. It is without words! The best lesson I learned from the dog is to not give up hope. When they shared the bit about the dog wagging his tail I had tears in my eyes.
Ang

Anonymous said...

Heya sis

We can't ever control how much we want to protect our children and keep them from harm, but we can control how we exhibit it. I would say my concern for Jeff is that in his worry he will try to contain Te too often and for too long and that it will have a damaging effect on their relationship. Jeff will himself have to grow in order to let Te grow.