Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dilemma

My cousin Val, wants to give her sister Anji one of her German Shepherd pups for her upcoming birthday. It took Anji two days to call her sister back and tell her "her plan." Her plan - 'I don't think I should take the puppy because with work and traveling a lot and I already have two pups that don't get the attention they deserve...you should give the pup to Liz. Liz is a dog person and she just lost her dog Max - Liz will take the dog.' So last night Anji asked me if I would take the pup. Of course upon this suggestion Val had to give Anj a hard time and tell her "oh great, this will be just like the baseball glove." (another story) My first response was yes I'll take the pup.

Today after a night of sleeping on it I think it might be in our best interest not to take the pup only because we have so much stuff going on. And a pup, for those of us who know - is work, much like having a child - I'll have to potty train again and be consistent in disciplining the dog all the time for a good two years. That's OK - my concern is the hair and what it's like to have one more dog. Traveling with one dog is far easier then traveling with two.

The dilemma is this...I love my cousin Val and to have something that's hers is a big deal. It's a big deal because who knows how much longer her walk on this plane will last. You see, she's one of God's creations that are unexplainable - people can't fathom her story cause she doesn't tell people and when one of her relatives talk about her people are awed because she is "awe" full.

Val has been living with a soft tissue sarcoma since she was about 25. At the time she was told she had six months to live, she has lived sixteen years. I call her the "bionic woman" or the "six million dollar woman" because that's what she is. A little flavor...she has one lung, a third of her stomach, and maybe a third of her small intestine, no large intestine, a metal plate to replace some lost ribs...and that's just getting started. These past few months she's endured brain surgery, heart surgery - always to come home just a few days later. She's a guenia pig for science and there have been numerous articles written about her - and resident doctors always asking her what has helped her to continue living when so many would of surrendered by now. Her answer, responsibility.

Val is definitely not a quitter and I know God will take her when she is good and ready to let go - so taking this puppy is a dilemma since Anji told me I would have to call Val and tell her "no" if I don't. Thanks Anj. I wonder if you can shave German Shepherds?

No comments: