Friday, June 13, 2008

To Be an Entreprenuer

It's funny - when I was in high school (prior to grandma dying) I remember quite vividly my aspirations. I knew one day I wanted to own my own business. I also knew that I did not want to get married before I was 28. I also think that I didn't want to be in any long-term relationship before I was 28, but we all know that didn't happen...back to the business owner business. It seems after my grandma died a lot of my aspirations kind of slipped away - albeit momentarily - or farther down the timeline. Now I am confronted with this wonderful opportunity of owning and operating a successful business.

In 2004, together with Jeff and his two cousins Karen & Mary we began ZuCru Creations. It is slowly and gradually collecting a following. We started it while I was in the midst of completing my MBA and becoming a first time mommy. Nothing in my life is ever truly planned or calculated - often times I wing it. And that's what works for me - order in complete chaos.

Now, Tom, my father-in-law is retiring at the end of this month. We will be expiring TomKat Printing which has seen its fair share of ups and downs and open a new door as Mantis Print & Design Studio. Together Tom & TomKat Printing will close the latest chapter together, while me & Jeff will begin a new chapter with Mantis Print & Design Studio. We will continue to service our client base inherited from TomKat Printing, reduce our footprint, customize our customer service and really develop an organization that reflects and inhabits both mine & Jeff's creative nature.

I am grateful for Tom and TomKat Printing - for what it has afforded us. I see the vivid potential of the future of what we are creating together. Jeff will tell you though - Mantis is Melissa...it is my desire. An exciting new feature we'll bring to Mantis is handmade Japanese paper. We'll be the only retailer in Idaho and within probably a 350/400 mile radius of surrounding states. I am creating my niche. In the next two weeks I'll get tutored on the two-color 1650 Multigraphic by Jon. I am excited to actually own and operate a press.

Before at TomKat - although it was family owned and operated - I still did not feel I personally had ownership. There were so many things I wanted to implement and change that I would suggest - which often fell on deaf ears. Now it's me implementing and making change. It's all me with the support of Jeff and Tom and my family and friends. It's going to be a great ride.

And a warning - everybody "hang on" cause as usual I'm doing it in the fashion I do best - I am winging it - and there is order, more order then I have ever had in my life.

PS. I apologize for the jumping around - it seems my thoughts aren't completely fluid today. Peace.

No comments: