Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Te in Studio




June 1 was Te's first official turn in the potter's studio. Jeff thinks I need to practice turning more since I always have these brilliant ideas I want him to manifest - but he would prefer to manifest his own ideas. As I practiced turning a couple bowls Jeff officially introduced Te to clay. Yeah - Te already knows clay - he goes into the studio whenever he can to kipe slip chips (as I call them) from the recycle clay can so he can crumble 'em. And yes - Te plays with Play-Doh - playing with clay however is taking it to the next level. Te & Jeff rolled out slabs and cookie cut their little hearts out for well over two hours. Te would ball up all his clay leftover from cutting out shapes - run over to the slab roller - place his clay between the canvas sheets - and say "my turn." It's kind of fun to work the slab roller when you're 3. It's like driving a big steering wheel. Eventually Te started taking his completed pieces and throwing them on the bat on another table. He was becoming quite proficient in the studio. We'll use the little cookie cutter dinos, animals, and cars for glaze testing - put them on a string and hang them in Te's room. It was a rather fun Sunday evening. And I still have an idea I need to create which I was just reminded of as I post. Hmm. I started it that evening - then crushed it to start new. The facial expressions of Jeff & Te are pretty classic in the quick photo op I did. Enjoy. Life is good no matter where I stand.

No comments: