Sunday, February 03, 2008

OK, So I can't stop talking

For the past week and half I've been purging in my life. Trying to seed out the things I know I don't need. Then, there are the things that have either some symbolic or emotional meaning and I desperately think I need to move beyond the attachment but I don't know how. I am trying to reach a simplistic rule of measure in our house - I am afraid of what it may become in thirty years - I wish I was more like my mother who seems to have this ability to detach herself from everything she has no means or purpose for. I don't know how she does it. Maybe because my whole life I've always created some meaning behind everything I've ever had whether significant or not. Now - almost two years later I am finally relinquishing all the unneccessary givings and inherited gifts of my father. There is so much luggage that I have absolutely no use for - yet - it signifies my dad and I can think of a thousands reasons why I should let it continue to hang around. If it were my dad - he'd tell me to get rid of the shit. I should practice perspective, and I am trying, but it's like if I purge I forget - although I know I don't - I do. How do I resolve this conflict? It's a catch-22. Not really. Although it seems like it. I just do not want to be thirty-years deep into my own stuff along with that of my father's and those yet to come. Perspective - it's a good thing. It's change - and change is opportunity in disguise.

No comments: